(1873, Vicebsk – 1942, Leningrad)
Painter. Portraitist and landscape-painter.
From 1887 to 1893 he studied at the Vitebsk Theological Seminary. In 1893 he moved to St. Petersburg and entered the Higher Art College under the Imperial Academy of Arts and studied under Ilya Repin. He graduated with the artist’s title for his painting The Evening in 1900. From 1902 to 1904 he taught at the Kharkov Drawing and Painting School. After returning to St. Petersburg in 1904 he became a teacher at the Drawing School of Society for the Encouragement of Artists.
Grigory Bobrovsky participated in exhibitions from 1899. In 1901 he was one of the founders of the SPb Artists Artel. In addition to that he was an exhibitor of the Moscow Association of Artists (1901 — 1903), New Society of Artists (1909), The World of Art (1910 — 1911), The Union of Russian Artists (1912 — 1917), and the Shestnadtsat art group. He participated in exhibitions of Russian art in Munich, where he was awarded the Small and Big gold medals (1911, 1913) and New York (1924). In 1916 Grigory Bobrovsky was given the academician titled.
In the first postrevolutionary years the artist participated in festive designing of Petrograd (St. Petersburg) and was elected chairman of the first Labor Union of Artists of Petrograd (SORABIS). From 1921 to 1929 he taught in VHUTEMAS, the Higher Art and Technical Courses. In 1932 he became a member of the Leningrad Union of Artists established the same year. The artist participated in the biggest Leningrad and all-Union exhibitions of the 1930s.
After the beginning of the Great Patriotic War he stayed in blockade Leningrad. The artist died of dystrophy in his studio in February, 1942.
After the war was over the first personal exhibition of Grigory Bobrovsky was held by the Leningrad Union of Artists in 1947.
Works by Grigory Bobrovsky are kept in the Russian Museum, the Vologda and Novosibirsk Regional Art Galleries, the Astrakhan Art Gallery, the Karelia Fine Arts Museum, the Latvian National Art Museum, etc.